Saturday, April 23, 2011

Humor

Yesterday, I watched a film that has been dubbed "The Worst Movie Ever Made." The film critics that gave it this title have either never seen a  movie directed by Friedberg and Seltzer or are lacking the part of the brain responsible for processing humor, (but not both, as someone with a sense of humor would never watch a Friedberg and Seltzer film). The movie I watched for the third of fourth time (in the span of three weeks) yesterday is none other than master dilettante, Tommy Wiseau's, The Room. The film is as amateurish as it gets but was made with a six million dollar budget. It's the funniest movie I've ever seen, but I can't think of a single joke in the entire movie. The film is riddled with plot holes and the acting is atrocious, but I can't turn away. I've laughed harder every time I've watched it (which is saying something, 'cause the first two times I was high). The film is an anomaly ... BUT it's not for everyone. My friends and I love the movie, but we also don't share the same sense of humor as most people. If you've ever seen an episode of Tim and Eric's Awesome Show and didn't get the appeal, then The Room is probably not for you, and you probably don't share my sense of humor. I love the absurd, the ridiculous, and the stupid, but only if it doesn't come off as trying to hard. Tim and Eric is one of my favorite shows for this reason. Their skits are probably some of the dumbest and most ridiculous, but they don't give me the impression that Tim and Eric sat around thinking about them for hours; in fact, the skits feel as if Tim and Eric smoked a bunch of weed, thought of an idea, and then recorded it. I'm sure there's a lot more that goes into it than that, but its the final product that I'm looking at. The same is true for The Room. Tommy Wiseau, The Room's eccentric director/writer/producer/protagonist fired the entire crew working on the film two times, but the film feels as if he simply had an idea and got some buddies (and a woman who was willing to do sex scenes with him) to film it with him. To me, Tim and Eric and The Room almost feel like a continuation of the ridiculousness of Monty Python or Airplane (which most people I've met enjoy), so I don't always understand why people dislike Tim and Eric and The Room. I guess there's only a certain amount of cheesy dumb humor most people can handle. Not me though!

Here's a clip from The Room. Keep in mind, this is supposed to be a serious scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ4KzClb1C4

No comments:

Post a Comment